Wednesday, October 23, 2019

Mary (Miars) Best (1906-1886) - Happy 113th Birthday!


My great aunt, Mary (Miars) Best is much loved and missed in our family.  She and her husband, Uncle Bob Best were additional grandparents to my mother and her sisters as well as to me and my siblings.

Her relationship to me is as follows:  me > my mom > Robert T Miars > Frank and Katie (Saltonstall) Miars.  Aunt Mary is the older sister of my grandfather and daughter of my great grandparents.

Mary Eva Miars was born on 23 Oct 1906 in Sugar Grove Township, Tazewell County, Illinois. (1)  She is the seventh child and fifth daughter of her parents, Frank and Katie (Saltonstall) Miars. (1)
There were to be nine children in the home after my grandfather was born in 1915.  No doubt there were many chores to do both inside and outside the home.  She lived until about the age of ten or eleven on the Miars homestead, started by her great grandparents, Martin and Ann (Hodgson) Miars, in Elm Grove Township, Tazewell County, Illinois.  Around 1916 or 1917 the Frank Miars family moved to their new home and farm in Jubilee, Peoria, Illinois.  Here she was to spend the rest of her school days.

She graduated from Brimfield (Illinois) High School in the mid 1920s.  Her wish was to be a school teacher.  She believed that education was the path to opportunities in life.  She graduated from Illinois State Normal University and began a career of teaching elementary students in small, rural public schools and beyond for the rest of her life. 
Aunt Mary is on the first row at the far right.
Aunt Mary married Robert "Bob" J Best on 29 May 1941 at the Union Church in Brimfield, Illinois. (1)  I found this newspaper clipping in her papers with a handwritten year of 1940. (2)  However, I do not think this was correct.  This couple was married the year after my grandparents who were married in 1940.  Uncle Bob's best man at his wedding was my great uncle, Frank Stenger (son of Joseph L and Lucy (Loescher) Stenger of Kickapoo.  The newspaper clipping also notes that Aunt Mary was a teacher "in the local school" which I believe was the Brimfield, Illinois grade school.
See (2) below for citation.
After their wedding Aunt Mary and Uncle Bob lived in the upstairs apartment of M.R. and Lorena (Reed) Clark in Brimfield.  It was a two story white house with a wrap around porch. I always thought this house was one of nicest in town.  They would make their residence there for about 20 years.**  In the early 1960s they bought their own home up the street (Galena Avenue) from the Clark house.  That would be their home for the rest of the married life.
She and Uncle Bob enjoyed spending time with their families, especially that of her youngest brother, Robert T Miars (my grandfather) who was raising his family in Brimfield during the 1940s and 1950s.  When my grandmother, Clementine (Stenger) Miars was in the hospital having babies, Aunt Mary would stay with her nieces during her time away.  When Robert and Clementine had a stillborn baby in May 1954, Aunt Mary and Uncle Bob were at the graveside service in Kickapoo in support of their family's loss.
.

By the time my siblings and I were old enough to interact with Aunt Mary and Uncle Bob they were starting to retire.  From time to time one or two of us at a time would be invited to stay visit and stay overnight at their house or go on some sort of outing with them.  They would take us out to Jubilee for picking hickory nuts and raspberries or a trip to the donut shop in Princeville.  I was spending the night at their house on Labor Day weekend in 1967 when my Grandpa Minor's business (Brimfield Motor Company) burned to the ground.  After hearing the sirens all night they explained to me what was going on.

Aunt Mary always had puzzles and school workbooks at her house. They were much more fun to do at her house than at school! There was always time for a game of cards (Rummy or King's Corner) it seemed.  One time visiting her I remember telling her how irritating my two younger brothers could be.  She said "Oh no.  You don't get to complain about them.  I had four brothers!"  I remember being very surprised about that and could not imagine what that must have been like.  Then she told me about her younger brother, Albert "Dutch" and how he used to "wonder off" on their walk to school sometimes.  That is really the only complaint I ever remember her making about her siblings.

She died on 14 May 1986 (3) and is buried in Brimfield Township Cemetery with Uncle Bob.
To me she was a wonderful aunt and great aunt who taught all of us so much about family and the importance of learning. I am so grateful to have known her and gotten the benefit of her wisdom and examples over the years.

Related Blog Posts -
Clara (Miars) Barker - 123rd Birthday

Bibliography -
(1) Mary (Miars) Best, "Frank Miars Family," handwritten report by Mary (Miars) Best, ca. 1970s; originally in the personal collection of the report's author, currently in the personal collection of the author of this blog post.
(2) Robert Best and Mary Miars wedding announcement, undated and unidentified newspaper clipping; privately held by Jana (Miars) Minor, Aurora, Illinois, 2017.  Newspaper is likely The Brimfield News.
(3) Peoria County, Illinois, death certificate no. 806  (14 May 1986), Mary E. Best, Peoria County Clerk.

**After Aunt Mary and Uncle Bob bought their home on Galena Avenue, my parents lived in the upstairs apartment at the Clark home.  This was my first home as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment