Sunday, November 10, 2019

Sunday's With Grandma Stenger

I found this picture recently among my grandmother's "stash of stuff" and it brought back a flood of memories about growing up and family.  Specifically, it reminds me of Sundays with my grandmothers.  The other noteworthy item about this photo is that it contains four generations of my maternal family line (lots of mitochondrial DNA here!).

This is a photo taken about 1973 or 1974 at the home of my maternal grandparents, Robert and Clementine (Stenger) Miars in Brimfield, Illinois. (I really didn't remember that my hair was ever that long in my youth but evidently it was!) Many times on Sundays we had our big meal at their house after church with pot roast or fried chicken on the menu.  Sometimes there were guests.  On those occasions there was nobody more special in attendance then Clem's mother (my great grandmother), Lucy (Loescher) Stenger.  Her husband, Joseph L Stenger, passed away in the mid 1960s. so my memories are really only of her.
Back Row L-R: Jana, Diane, Lucy (Loescher) Stenger, Clementine (Stenger) Miars.
Front Row L-R:  Michael, David, Jean
ca. 1973, Brimfield, Illinois
In this photo I think Lucy would have been in her mid to late 80s.  Always in my memories, she had white hair fashioned as it is in the photo.  I remember that for most of my school years at home we took every opportunity possible to see her and visit with her because of her advanced age.  That included having her come for Sunday dinner.  After all when somebody is about 88 years old how many more years could they have left?

Well...turns out more than decade!  My great grandmother, Lucy (Loescher) Stenger lived to be 100 years old and died in 1985 just days after achieving that milestone.  My grandmother, Clem Miars, would go on to live to be 103.  Amazing...simply amazing.

When Lucy was still living independently, in her own home, she would likely bring food to these dinners.  She was famous for so many delicious baked goods.  Included in this long list were her dinner rolls, coconut creme pies and cinnamon roles.  Sometimes, we would stop to visit her on Saturdays on our way to the grocery store and I remember very well the marvelous smells of all of this baking in her home.  So at our Sunday dinners not only did we get the benefit of Clem's wonderful meal but many times we had great additions from Lucy's kitchen also.

The location of this photo is the living room of Clem's house in Brimfield, IL.  My grandfather or dad would have likely taken the picture.  Another thought that I had when first looking at this photo was about the drapes.  I remember when Clem picked them out and had them installed.  It was a big deal for her to have custom made drapes and we were not to touch them.  Sticky fingers or dirty hands were not allowed anywhere near them.  They were a source of pride for her for years to come.  Also, everybody in the photo except for Lucy has nice smiles.  Well...maybe David's is a bit mischievous but there are no unhappy faces.  Our tummies and hearts were full of great food and fellowship.  We couldn't want for anything else (except maybe a nap!).

Why was this photo taken with Lucy on that particular visit?  Who knows.  But thankfully it was.  Four generations together.  Another Sunday with Grandmother Stenger.


No comments:

Post a Comment