Sunday, December 15, 2019

Christmas Card from Mama & Papa

'Tis the Season....

Among my grandmother's collection of cards and letters there were a number of Christmas cards.  Many of them are from the 1930s and her work friends or Kickapoo people.  They are all wonderful to look through and then try to figure out the context under which they were sent.

Then I came across this card and I realized I had a real treasure.
Christmas card from "Mama & Papa," undated. Sender is likely Joseph and Lucy (Loescher) Stenger to their daughter Clementine (Stenger) Miars.

Christmas card from "Mama & Papa," undated. Sender is likely Joseph and Lucy (Loescher) Stenger to their daughter Clementine (Stenger) Miars.

It is signed "Mama & Papa" with no date or recipient noted.  However, I recognized the handwriting as that of my great grandmother, Lucy (Loescher) Stenger.  The "Papa" would be her husband, Joseph L Stenger.  I believe that this card was sent or given to their daughter and my grandmother, Clementine (Stenger) Miars.  It was likely sent in the 1930s or 1940s.

The scene of the card is that of an old-fashion Christmas eve.  The cover is an outdoor winter scene with snow and a house with a traditional Christmas wreath on the door.  The inside has an inviting fireplace and a tree beside it.  The card itself reminds me of Christmases when I was growing up.  

But then the signature and the handwriting take me back to memories of my great grandparents.  Grandpa Stenger died in 1966 and Grandma in 1985 so it's been a few decades since they have been gone.  How wonderful it is to have this card and remember them at this time of year.  

I am so grateful to my grandmother for keeping all of these treasures throughout her whole life!  They are simply priceless!

Merry Christmas!
50th Wedding Anniversary photo of Joseph L and Lucy (Loescher) Stenger, ca. May 1955.
Related Blog Posts -
Anna Maria (Schmitt) Stenger - 177nd Birthday 14 October 1842
Joseph L Stenger - Kickapoo, Illinois
Sunday's with Grandma Stenger


No comments:

Post a Comment